Rad Reading – October

This month I read the second book in the Divergent trilogy. I read Insurgent by Veronica Roth. Insurgent is a Science-Fiction dystopian novel. In this book the main character Tris, is divergent. She is my favorite character. The government feels the need to kill and test on all of the divergent. Tris tries to hide from the government but since she is selfless she turns herself in to stop the suicides that have happened because the government mind controls people into killing themselves in order to make Tris turn herself in. As soon as Tris turns herself in they begin a series of tests on the divergent mind in order to make a simulation that divergents are not immune too. The character Tris is selfless. She proves this over and over again when she is hurting herself to protect others. An example of this is when she decides to go first on a rickety ladder to test that it’s safe having no regard for her own life in order to protect the lives of others. A quote from this book that proves Tris’s selflessness is, “‘I’ll go’ I say before Marcus has the chance to.” My favorite quote from this book is “We both have war inside us. Sometimes it keeps us alive. Sometimes it threatens to destroy us.” -Veronica Roth, Insurgent (Pg. 242). This is my favorite quote because it explains that when there is a lot going on sometimes it motivates but sometimes it’s too much. I loved this book because it was very action packed and it never got boring.

One thought on “Rad Reading – October

1. You used some really great vocabulary words like “trilogy”, “rickety”, and “selflessness” in your blog. It really brought the writing more to life and helped me understand it a little bit better!